Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 148 - Sweet Home Alabama... Part II

Position Report: Concord, North Carolina
Status: Slightly further progressed, most still delayed
Mood: Remains debatable

Ok you non-commenting bunch of slugs, short and sweet tonight. The issue of the waste of my time becomes paramount as the days progress. As was expected, yesterday was a total waste of oxygen and energy as I basically watched the walls of a company apartment settle into the Jacksonville soil, although I did find great enjoyment in feeding a flock of geese that had visited the complex’s pond. Such beautiful creatures, they truly are. Hunkered down on my heels in the grass, I watched the gorgeous birds peck mere inches from me at the bits of bread that I had offered them. It was funny to me that they could fly anytime they so chose while I had to wait on a pencil-pusher to give the ok. No bother though, they were magnificent animals and having them surrounding me at a range of mere inches truly brightened my day. The only other glimmer of hope came at 1 pm with the notification by the company dispatch office that I would be flying to my beloved Jasper the following day (today).
Naturally I accepted their aeronautical olive branch, and by 9 am this morning we were rocketing toward Alabama. I got the privilege of seeing many of the folks that I have come to love like cherished members of an extended family, and I can’t describe how good that felt. I basically went crazy; like a kid in a candy store. Seeing The Boss and Ed again was like a lifeline in the midst of my frustration; a reason to believe. Two of my staunchest new supporters had come out to see me, and it meant wonders to me. When the Boss pulled his tired old Cadillac up to our aircraft and extended unto me his hand, coupled with one of the most genuine smiles in the history of mankind, my soul warmed while my heart simultaneously shattered in a deeply interesting dichotomy of human emotion. My hero had missed me, and I had surely missed him. I have got to get back here, period.
It has been said that all good things come to an end, and so it happened today. My time in aviation heaven came to a premature close, and I now write you from the confines of yet another non-descript apartment in another equally non-descript city. Concord, North Carolina, to be exact (I did see Jack Roush today, though). It was our next leg after Jasper. We had intended to continue to Richmond, but after a sufficiently nauseating company mix-up, we find ourselves stuck here tonight. Without delving too deeply into the issue of my internal angers and frustrations, we’ll just say that it’s getting harder and harder not to pull the handles and bail out altogether. I’m so tired of having my time wasted by these people that words completely escape me. Exactly how long I will last without having a patented Joey come-apart is anyone's guess. I’m just praying for a swift end to this interminable period of mobile imprisonment, and an agreeable resolution to my internal plight; specifically one that places me back in my…

Sweet home Alabama.


On deck for tomorrow: Richmond, Virginia. It they let us go, that is.

Joey

2 comments:

  1. Duck, duck GOOSE!!!!! You have goose issues! (Blue Goose)!!! Hope this finishes fast for you! Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a new nickname for you insted of Alan. It's goose from now on!!
    Les

    ReplyDelete