Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 5 - Sweet Home Alabama

So I had a really bad night last night. The worst day/night yet, in fact. I finally had all I could take. After a few events that I'll not discuss in public forum, I decided that I was done. I made the decision to quit. I didn't know what to do, but I knew this wasn't it. I drove to my apartment, packed my things, got in the car, and I left. On my way out of the gate at the apartment complex, I dialed the training manager to advise him of my decision and turn in my things, but I got his voicemail. I didn't know what to do. Now I couldn't leave, but I was so miserable, mad, and generally distraught that I couldn't stay. So I drove to a hotel and rented a room to calm down and try to relax. It was a deeply miserable night for me. I felt lost and trapped, all at the same time. As usual, I didn't sleep well at all, and by 5 am I had become literally, physically sick over the predicament in which I found myself. I was miserable in my current situation and I knew I could not, and would not, stay. I didn't want to quit, but I knew that I had to do something. I wanted to get out of where I was, because if I stayed I would be neither happy nor successful. Leaving was the only logical course of action. But a question loomed beyond that: What next? After I quit, where would I go from there? After making a few phone calls and talking to a few people, a third option presented itself: a facility transfer. For all I knew it would be just as bad or worse somewhere else. It didn't sound like much of a grand solution, but I decided that before I quit completely, I would give myself one more shot at redemption. I agreed to try it.


With nothing really except blind faith and hope, I fired up the mighty Blue Goose and headed west in search of the promised land. Crossing the Alabama state line almost felt like a homecoming for me in a way. A sense of relief and peace overcame me when I saw the sign, and following my arrival here, that feeling has thus far been largely justified. Suffice it to say, I once again have a reason to believe. I'm the only pilot assigned to the instructor here, the housing situation is great (I have my own room now and the housing is located inside the airport fence), and it's a small country town. I look out my window and see nothing but the runway and trees. It's quiet and peaceful here, much smaller and friendlier, and the people are terrific! This is truly a little gold mine of an airport. I've already met some amazingly successful and, obviously knowledgeable and talented, aviation professionals right here in the middle of nowhere! The atmosphere seems to be much better suited to my personality and learning style. I'm beginning to actually regain the hope that maybe I can do this. I was beginning to question whether or not this was what I even wanted to do. I had nearly convinced myself that I wasn't, and to give up altogether. But I honestly can't think of anything else to replace this career choice with. Trust me, I tried. And now I have that prospect back in my life, as well as the hope that aviation might actually become fun again.

I arrived at about 1 o'clock this afternoon and have had a great time so far! First order of business: indoctrination into the delightful good ol' boy network that is gloriously typical of the rural south. I received a tour of the entire airport and met the aforementioned folks. Behind each hangar door lay more amazing nuggets of aviation, and more wonderful people. Following the walking tour, I was showed to my housing. Oh, and as a side note, to say that I was shown to my housing is kind of erroneous considering that you can't really miss it; it is part of the cluster of hangars and buildings inside the airport grounds. I can literally throw a rock and hit half of the buildings on the property. I also was fortunate enough to ride in the crew car! I realize that this doesn't seem like a big deal, but you will understand when you see a picture of this car. It's RIGHT up my alley.

Continuing with the good news, I actually found myself hungry today and ate a full meal for the first time in nearly a week, and I'm looking forward to having my first full night of sleep in an equivalent amount of time! I also went to the grocery store with my new manager (GREAT guy) and was even able to make a little sweet tea without fire suppression being required. I'm still a little homesick, especially in the evenings, and the unknown future still scares me. However, I can't express in words how much better I already feel. To use the term exponential would be an understatement. The social and flight environments are so different here, and I think I'm gonna like it. I'm not built for big city livin', or a voodoo woman named Phyllis.

So with all of that said, I'm feeling much more hopeful about my situation. I thank each and every one of you for your continued support. I 'preciate y'all's interest. In the meantime, I'm gonna try to keep pressing forward. Tommorow I may actually get to fly for the first time, and I'll probably end up back in the sim. Further updates and progress reports will be forthcoming. Great weekend to all.


Shalom
Joey

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for some GOOD news!! I can't believe we didn't check this place out on the front end. I know you have it in you to do this you just gotta tough out the bad times and it will all be over quicker than you can blink!

    Talk to you soon!!

    Love you son!!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always something to be said for Sweet Home Alabama! Tennessee has always been your home but Alabama is the second home on a grand scale. I'm sure Pawpaw is already trying to figure out how to stop and stay on his way through. There is nothing wrong with being homesick as long as you do not let it stop your dreams. You can handle it aqnd everyone from Sina to Daniel and Lesley are wanting to make weekend trips to ease the tension. And you know I'm up for a trip to DSW!!!
    Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,

    Excuse the delays in commenting to your posts. The medical gods took out their frustrations on my well being as you know. Quite ok, a few injections of liquid fire and I'm almost back to myself.

    I'm so glad to see a turn around in both your mood and your learning experience! I'm thrilled that this Alabama school has once again stimulated and kick started your learning experience! The Joey I know has been revived! I know you are still a bit home sick, but you have all sorts of friends back at home (well uhh ok so one of them back in Sparta-ville, that's close to home though!) that are willing to help support you and help all we can to ease your homesickness. I still like my idea though, even if you didn't! I may just make a drive down to McMinnville and take all sorts of pictures, then road trip it to the wonderful state of Alabama. I think your room would look AWESOME plastered in digital pictures of home! =)

    Nurse Jeanne

    ReplyDelete