That's right friends, today was the first flight.
The day began with a little systems and physics review, and I was also able to meet the Designated Pilot Examiner with whom I'll be flying (the guy who decides whether I'm a pilot or not). He seems to be a super nice guy and I'm looking forward to getting to know him. It certainly doesn't hurt that he holds my dream title: a FedEx widebody Captain. Can you say, hero worship? When he stuck his hand out to shake mine, the skies parted, the light shone down, and the angels sang. It was great.
After lunch, it was time to fish or cut bait. We mounted our winged chariot and headed for the skies. Thankfully my instructor made the first takeoff, because when two 180 hp engines roared with me in the left seat for the first time, I became instantly mortified. As we lifted off and climbed through 500 feet, I took over. It was considerably turbulent and I have no trouble admitting that I was scared to death. I'd have probably tried to get out and walk back to the airport were it not for the fact that the door is on the right side of the aircraft.
I learned a few valuable lessons. Lesson 1: this airplane is a whole new ballgame, and not nearly as forgiving and doscile as what I have been flying for the last six years. Lesson 2: I need LOTS more sim practice because my maneuvers were horrible (I blame a small part of that on the bumpy conditions that contributed to the pre-existing first-time jitters. Right seat: "Ok, pull it back til you hear the stall horn." Left seat: "NO!"). Lesson 3: Never admit that you're worried, because the guy that's with you might admit that he's worried too, and that's not gonna help your feel-goods one bit. Nope.
I got out of the airplane feeling pretty down about myself. I didn't expect to master it, but I didn't expect to do that horrifically either. I felt defeated (And glad to be on the ground). I've been flying since I was 16 years old; I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm not supposed to be scared that easily either. I wandered over to the hangar to talk to the mechanic, Dennis, who I see as the proverbial wise old man of the airport. The Alabama Yoda. He's been in aviation for nearly four decades (that I know of), and is a super great guy. He's one of those people that you can't help but enjoy being around. He asked me how it went, and I told him how I felt. Here's what he said:
"It doesn't take any particularly special kind of human to fly an airplane. Really it doesn't. You can teach anyone to simply fly the thing. Besides, it was only your first flight in a multi. The things that make a good pilot go way beyond just how well a person moves a yoke. That part comes with time and experience. The rest is a mindset and intelligence that you either have, or you don't. I've been around lots of pilots over the years, and I ain't run you off yet. I figured out a long time ago that the easiest way to get killed in an airplane is to be in a hurry."
I came away feeling somewhat better. I felt encouraged, and I realized that Dennis was right. I needed to give it more time, and learn not to be discouraged. In the grand scheme of things, I am barely a pilot. A pilot I am nonetheless, but there are people at this airport that have been flying twice as long as I've been on the earth (or longer). I can't expect to master things immediately. I cannot describe to you the feeling that it creates to know that you are up in the air and you have to get yourself back down safely. You and only you. No one else on earth can help you. It's nothing like driving a car. I've walked into burning buildings, I've dangled off bridges, repelled off of cliffs, bungee jumped; basically anything stupid that you can imagine. Nothing compares to the awesome and shear terrifying feeling of responsibility for your own existence as flying an airplane. I'm gonna get scared sometimes, it's natural. I am not going to be able to change that. I am, however, gonna have to get back on the horse tommorow and go at it again.
But then again, maybe a little fear is a good thing. Keeps ya honest.
Until tommorow...
Joey
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If this were easy, everyone would do it! Get back on that horse and FLY!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom
Joey,
ReplyDeleteWow! So good to read about your adventures. I'm really proud of you for pursuing your dream of piloting! You will be a good one.
Hang in there and do NOT be discouraged. I will enjoy keeping up with you through this blog. Your writin' is so good, sir!
Take care.
cc
Rocky,
ReplyDeleteIf I didn't think you could fly I wouldn't have spent the last year trying to get you to let me randomly flip switches to see what would happen in the event one of them said "Do not touch".
So just do it.
You know... some wise soul once told me during nursing school "I don't know everything there is to know about emergency care. I don't pretend to know it all either. I am not afraid to admit it, nor am I afraid to ask questions. I am, however, afraid of those who believe and act as if they know it all. That's when you should worry. A little fear and uncertainy keeps you sharp and on your toes. Once you become lax, you lose the ability to see and realized you are not God, you are not perfect, and you will make mistakes. Unfortunately, in this line of work, the mistakes you make once you have that mind set are life threatening. One day at a time, never stop learning. If you ever go one day without learning something, or get to the point you feel you know it all... it's time to move on."
ReplyDeleteI've lived by that motto every since that day. It may have come from a medical view, but it plays so true on many aspects of other careers. Have confidence, just don't over do it and never completely be come 100% comfortable, you tend to lose focus. You are going to be a great pilot. Practice makes perfect! In agreements with your mom's post... If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
Carry on my Flying Squirrel! Carry on!
Nephew, why is it so difficult for us to post to your site? You do know we are thinking about you and love you!
ReplyDeleteAunt Teresa