If it weren't for the training program I'd really be in heaven. Although why I would be here without having to be in training I have no idea. But anyway, that's not important. What IS important is the next hat that I wore today: television cameraman. No, seriously. I shot footage for TV today.
The Birmingham ABC network affiliate sent a reporter to the airport today to do a story on the Big Dog in relation to the upcoming airshow. The reporter set his camera up and interviewed Joey, and also got some video of him flying. Then, following the interview, Joey planned to take him for a ride in Big Red. Unfortunately, the reporter was riding solo. He had anticipated merely an interview and footage, something for which one man and a tripod would easily suffice. The following footage would be dynamic, requiring actual movement and human intervention.
"I really need a camera man," he said.
"Well that's easy," the boss said from the cockpit of Big Red, and then pointed at me. "Give it to Joe there. He'll do it for you, no problem."
Sweeeeeeet.
After some brief instruction on how to work the camera, which really looked like some archaic relic, I hefted the boat anchor up onto my shoulder. Lights, camera, action! I'll spare you many of the details, but most of you know me well enough to estimate just how much fun I could have with a real television camera. I think Ryan said it best when he looked at the reporter, shook his head, and said, "You shoulda never given him that thing."
With Joey and the reporter securely fastened into Big Red and headed out to the runway, Ryan (my fellow pilot/roommate) and Dennis (the awesome mechanic) were left with me on the ground. Dennis and I decided that it wouldn't do for us to merely wait on them to return. We couldn't just sit around, that would be beneath us! A good TV camera crew goes where the action is! So we loaded up in Little Red and, with Dennis at the helm and me behind the lens, we set off in search of our story. Who knew that a low-rider golf cart would do so well four-wheeling through dirt and clay? The camera bounced on my shoulder as we lumbered over the ground, chasing the big red airplane down the adjacent taxiway. The little electric vehicle skittered across the rough terrain at best speed, sending a rooster tail of mud and grass flying through the air in its wake. The two idiots aboard, each laughing uncontrollably, looked like two institutional escapees in a clown car. It was great.
Me and Dennis in "Little Red"
But the part that I really enjoyed was the ramp tour that followed. Once the airplane and it occupants were out of sight, giving me a break until their return, Dennis took me on a tour of the airport tarmac. More specifically, it was my technical knowledge and systems lecture for the day. We started at one end of the ramp and worked our way up and down the rows, stopping at each airplane for Dennis to point out the finer nuances of each one, and also for me to fire off an endless stream of questions. "What's that? What's a venturi? How does that work?" While not really formal education, it's so much better than sitting in a classroom. This is what total immersion training is really all about.
I have a blast with Dennis. He is really great, just like the rest of the senior men here. That's what makes it so great here. The flying is fun, but really it serves mostly as just the common bond for the best part of my life here: the social atmosphere. The people here are great, I can't brag on them enough. It's like a redneck country club. I live on an airport. I'm surrounded by aviation and great people. The pinnacle of life. I have arrived...
The unmistakeable roaring sound of Big Red's massive radial engine became audible in the distance, and we decided that we should venture back to our side of the airport and get ready for my closing footage. With the enormous camera still in my lap, Dennis pointed the golf cart westward, and we headed back to the other side of the airport. Squarely in front of us was a beautiful, picturesque sunset, and I watched the massive red airplane cross in front of the sun on the base leg of a low pass down the runway. This is the life, I thought.
And good Lord this camera's heavy.
Joey

Again let me remind you.....YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!! And have!! See you tomorrow!!
ReplyDeleteLove, MOM
LOL. I totally LOVE the golf cart!! It's the greatest thing I've ever seen!! HAHA. Have a good one!
ReplyDeleteHailey
We NEED that golf cart in the hood! It's so cute! So I wonder what you will be up to next week. Riding in a fume filled car or camera man on the golf cart? lol Your tails get better and better each day. I can see it now, your gonna be like the old Uncles on Secondhand Lions, sittin on the porch telling your niece about all your strange travels! Take care
ReplyDeleteBaby Bump
Hi Joey,
ReplyDeleteGlenda has been following your story from about day 2. Technically since Grade 2. Thanks for making her smile after a long day at TG.
Flight training is quite a ride, isn't it. I just tuned in and read about your Multi-ride so allow me to offer a bit of advice and encouragement. First, any checkride you pass is a great checkride. Period. You know that you're a good pilot and so does your instructor or he wouldn't have sent you. I know guys with 20,000 hours that lock up every year in the sim for their checkride. It doesn't make them a bad pilot.
Second, don't be soooo hard on yourself. It's ok to be critical. That's why your'e in training. Keep learning. Eventually even the hard stuff becomes routine. Bad days happen to all of us. Good sticks keep them from bending airplanes.
I have a story for you but don't want to waste all of your space here. Send me your e-mail and I'll fill you in.
Phil Page
aa757@mindspring.com