Today was Jeff's last day. Our new instructor officially took over this evening at about 4 pm. I'm still not sure what to think about him. I'm trying to give him a fair shot, though (unusual for me, I know). So far he's not really given me any problem. Ryan and I have spent quite a bit of time with him this evening trying to get a feel for him. Our first flight together is tomorrow at 1 o'clock, so time will tell. There are some multi-engine add-on folks coming in for the weekend, so I basically get the morning off til 1. What's that you say? Sleep late? Why yes, I believe I will!
I was hoping to get to go home this weekend but that won't be happening. I have flights scheduled each day for the next three days, and ground to do as well. That definitely puts a damper on the trip home. I was pretty upset about it earlier, but I realized that it's largely no one's fault, just bad luck, so I'm trying to cope with that. Hopefully we'll stay busy and it won't be an issue. The checkride is scheduled firmly for Tuesday, so hopefully I can get that knocked out and proceed on with other things.
We didn't get to accomplish much today. I got to spend a little more time with Joey and Ed, and also was fortunate to get to work the ramp and fueling station a little bit. The fuel is advertised as self-serve, but if we're available to help we (Ryan and I) try to make it full-serve as much as possible, and Joey really seems to like that. Ryan is also great, as he has really stepped up to help me out and show me the ropes. Joey really has a great thing going here and is very gracious to us, so I like to work for him as much as I can. Working the ramp is also GREAT experience. I have seriously seen pilots that couldn't fuel their airplane. They didn't know how. They'll taxi up to the fuel pumps, get out, and stare endlessly at the pump and controls. It's like a pig looking at a wristwatch. The pig knows that he sees something, but he has no clue what it is. Thus, working the ramp gets me great experience, and is also a wonderful opportunity to meet people. As Joey says, "You never know when an interview is being conducted."
I was hoping to get to fly today, but that didn't happen either. Jeff took my new instructor on a familiarization flight, and they got stranded for a time at another airport with engine trouble. The airplane they took is the newest of the two here (I'm really starting to hate that thing), and after a few of my own attempts at flight, I have taken to calling her "Christine." That maintenance delay ruined much of our useable day, so it was back to the sim for me (I'm really starting to hate that thing, too). Sim and books. Pulse-pounding excitement. Thrills and chills. Moving experience, to be sure. I laughed. I cried. Ya shoulda bee then there.
I'm starting to get bogged down in the repetition and inactivity, but I'm hoping it will pick up. Were it not for my impromptu internship of sorts, the secondary duties that I voluntarily perform for the facility, I'd go nuts. I really like having extra chores here. It breaks up the monotony and gives me a constructive project. A sense of satisfaction is conveyed to me, and the local folks really seem to appreciate the help. I'm even thinking about cleaning the pilot's lounge and bathroom tomorrow, God help me.
All in all, not much to report today either. I apologize for wasting your time with trivialities, but I'm often chastised by several if I do not provide daily updates. It seems that I've developed quite the cult following. Go me. I'll hopefully have more to say tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to flying tomorrow, as well as my checkride (oddly enough). I'm ready to start building up a head of steam and making some progress. Hopefully that steam will begin to build tomorrow after the first in this series of flights (as well as the instructor change), and we'll really pick up some speed. Next stop: multi-engine rating.
All aboard.
Joey
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As long as you stay busy the time will past fast! This is what we are here for!! Hang in there and we will see you soon!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom